Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Kittens

On about a twenty mile stretch of Interstate 80, I saw six dead baby skunks. One looked like it was doing summersaults. Well, it was doing summersaults but it was from the wind created by the passing cars. It would have been cute if the skunk weren’t dead on the freeway, but alive doing summersaults on a grassy knoll. I have noticed a lot of dead skunks over the last few weeks. One smelled so badly that my eyes burned before my nose noticed the intense stink. Also, the pine trees in the Sierra have a lot of cones. Do you suppose there is a connection between the high cone count and the high skunk count? Me neither.
Are baby skunks called kittens? They should be. I just looked it up. Baby skunks are called kittens.

3 comments:

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Adds a whole new dimension to when I say to my lover, "Come here, my little kitten."

Kirstie said...

Skunks? Kittens? Man, you just blew my mind.

SA said...

did you know only once species of conifer has a "cone year" at a time, and it is not patterned, e.g. bienniel, or every 5 years? There is a theory of scents like fermons. but i have never seen a tree's nose, so i don't know how they communicate. Perhaps they just yell out, "Hey gues, this is the year...bare Lots of Cones" Who knows. If a tree talks when no one is around...