Monday, May 23, 2005

Black-tailed rattlesnake maybe


AR0201_1m
Originally uploaded by Jonathansadler.
I went for a hike yesterday and saw what I believe to be a Black-tailed rattlesnake. He was pretty aggressive though and my sources (enature.com) say the Black-tailed is not a particularly aggressive species. I told the gardener about my hike and he said, "It is okay to enjoy the mountains but not to trust the mountains. There are lots of black bear and they will eat you. You should bring a gun. A snake in the Gila (a national forest in southern New Mexico) ate a cow and her babies." He said the snake sucked the cattle up like a vacuum cleaner. He indicated the size with his arms in a circle (bigger than an anaconda) and said it was a serpent.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ay chihuahua...

jonathan said...

Damn straight! And to think of all the times I have been in the wilderness unprepared - with you even. If anything ever happened to you because of my negligence I would never forgive myself.

SA said...

Given this man's years of experience, I am surpised you haven't taken his advice in the garden. Also, shall we ask Mama to send you the 22?

jonathan said...

A .22 will just tickle a bear - which might be okay. It might put it in a good mood. I'll ask my friend.