Friday, March 10, 2006

GITMO

I thought I would borrow a page from Joey Cheek who used his Olympic success to promote a charity and thereby make a political statement. This blog goes out to at least 20 people all over the world so I have a real chance to do some good:
I am disappointed in the United States of America. Almost two years ago I met a fellow who told me that he set up the prison camp at Guantanamo Bay. He told me not to believe it when I hear that the guards hit the detainees and then he said, “but when they do hit them it is because…” (I can’t remember why, but I thought it was funny that in the same sentence he told me they don’t hit them and they do hit them). And tonight I listened to stories about prisoners who were detained for telling jokes and about $5000-$10,000 bounties given to people who turned in al Qaeda and Taliban members. So there was an incentive plan. As I was listening I was starting to feel that outrage that, according to the bumper sticker, we are all supposed to be feeling.

3 comments:

naomi said...

i'm with you!

Dennis R. Plummer said...

Thanks for the heads up on the This American Life program. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one moved to outrage. I will add the program link to my blog.

Adellamorio said...

You need to look at it this way; they call it Gitmo, but there's no "I" in Guantanamo, that's funny! We live in a weird and wonderful world, don't we? And just for the record, the rumors are true, there is an "I" in team.