Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Blog Update Second Try


A few days ago I wrote a blog update that I called, Blog Update. I had settled on that title because comments by a friend made me want to update my blog. The friend complimented my writing. I do well with compliments and compliments seem to carry more cache when the complimenter is talented in the field he or she is complimenting. I started to write Blog Update at a place that advertised free wifi for $2.95. That place was the Oakland Airport. I continued the update at a similar but much larger place that also advertised free wifi. This time the words, "free wifi," was not followed by a price. For the record, even if the free wifi in Oakland had been half price I wouldn't have paid. I have grown accustomed to free stuff where computers are concerned - not counting computers.

This other place with free wifi was the Salt Lake City Airport. The free Internet was everything it said it would be - free and Internet. I finished the post, complete with links and photographs. I was having such a great time that I was the last one on the plane. But before I got on the plane I pushed the refresh button and Blog Update with all of it's embedded links and photographs was replaced with something resembling this: Blog fghaiod. Intriguing but it did not convey whatever it was I was trying to convey.

The reason I was in Oakland was because it has the second closest airport to San Francisco after the San Francisco Airport. And I was in San Francisco because Tenspeed Hero has a show at The Rapha Cycle Club on Filmore and Filbert. Luke Hero, Becca Intern Hero and I were there installing our Tour De France illustrations (illustrated by Becca). We spent a couple of days trying to ignore the plaintive whispers of wool cycling clothing imploring us to adopt (buy) them. But Heroes are only human and I was inevitably broken down by a pair of socks that go by the name, Rapha City Riding Socks. The City Riding Socks rightfully pointed out that I had, heretofore, been riding in cities with decidedly rural and in some cases suburban socks. "You need us," they said.

The show looked great and our hosts were excellent. Thank you Rapha Cycle Club. And thank you Belinda and Nick for the great company, food and inexplicably comfortable foldout couch. And thanks Andrea for the free admission to the Academy of Sciences. And especially thanks to Jenny for minding the farm while I was away.


 Anaconda


Bobcat admiring my Rapha City Riding Socks


Bobcat tasting the air


Bobcat freeing me of my glasses 


Not sure who this is


One of Becca's illustrations

1 comment:

Stephen Sadler said...

I was looking again at my Rosetta Stone Irish course, trying once more to pronounce the very first phrase properly. Irish, or as they say "Gaelige," may not be an actual language. I have a decoder spreadsheet that tells me how each letter is pronounced, which depends on what letters it is next to or near, and as Siobhan would tell you, even less phonetic than English.
The point is that "Blog fghaiod" would be a great title for a blog from or about Ireland. Everyone will agree fghaiod is a fine Gaelige word, though most will say it's too difficult to pronounce perfectly, and that the pronunciation actually varies depending on which part of Ireland you're in. Eventually some astute person will tell you, "Oh, fghaiod! It's pronounced "Update."