Thursday, August 07, 2008

Bears and Beards

My sister’s dog Thomas likes to sleep in the most centrally located spot of a given house so he can check on everyone in the most expeditious manor. I sleep out on the front deck so Thomas has to come outside to smell me and look at me periodically. A few nights ago, I heard someone get up and shut all the doors so I was on my own. Diego was in my sleeping bag but no more Thomas checking on us. But a while after the doors closed I was checked on again. When I opened my eyes I was greeted by a mid-sized (late model) black bear – or a silhouette thereof. His silhouetted face was getting closer to my face when I said, “Hey dude.” As you might imagine, that scared him away. He ran around the cabin and stopped on the other side of my bed. I shined a flashlight at him and he ran away, maybe toward your cabin.




In other news, I have been reintroducing myself to people that I have known all my life. The beard is a pretty effective disguise. It also works if I do not feel like talking to someone. Some people, Carl for example, are very free with their opinions about the beard saying things like, “Get rid of that beard,” or “get rid of that gross beard.” I usually tell them give it time. It’ll grow on you. It did on me.

1 comment:

Kirstie said...

I find the late model bears don't get as good of mileage as the newer compact bears do. It's a shame because I really like the late model bear body style better.