Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Nymphalis antiopa


firstbutterfly
Originally uploaded by Jonathansadler.
There are several indications that spring has arrived in Albuquerque: The 65 degree, sunny weather, the almond and apricot trees are blooming, birds are perching on top of trees and singing, bees are in the flowers, and this Mourning cloak butterfly. Notice its worn wing indicating age. Fresh (newly emerged) butterflies have perfectly intact wings. Old butterflies often look worn and torn. This butterfly spent the winter in torpor, waiting for a day like this to feed and lay eggs and die (maybe not all in the same day). I am not a Mourning cloak expert. I don't know if both sexes hibernate or, if like bees and ants, only the fertilized females survive the winter. I assume they do not even hibernate at all in warmer climates.
I have never used "torpor", in a sentence until very recently. I expect it to become a permanent and welcome addition to my vocabulary.

No comments: