Friday, July 15, 2005

Music Appreciation

I am in my house listening to records (Queen, Sheer Heart Attack at the moment).
During lunch today we were talking about people we had known who had been in a coma and became Christians afterward. I said, “That’s when Jesus strikes, when you are at your weakest.” *
As we left the restaurant, J. noticed Robert still had his napkin in his hand. It was a linen napkin. I tried to get it and he said, frustrated, “I’m taking this to UCLA. Every time I have a banana . . .” He trailed off and I can’t recall what else he said but he was not going to let go of that napkin.

Now I am listening to Beethoven: Symphony No. 7 in A Major, Opus 92. I know what some of that means. “Beethoven” is the composer. “Symphony,” I think, implies that it was written for a large ensemble and “A major” must be the key. I am not sure what Opus 92 means. Is that part of the symphony? In other words, did the orchestra just play a section of a larger piece?

*To you Christians out there, that was not meant to be offensive - just an observation on how your savior operates.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a christian, I took no offense. In fact, I agree whole heartedly.

Beck is my personal favorite at the moment. I have been working my way through 3 of his albums, Midnight Vultures, Odelay, and Sea Change. Although each is very different, they are all equally excellent in there own prophetic way. Clever man, that Beck. I do enjoy a good Beethoven Sonata now and then, however.

jonathan said...

ty,
What are you doing up at this hour? Those are all good records. I would like to get Midnight Vultures. My friend Donna has it - I think she has given me a song or two from that LP. Now I am listening to Elvis Costello, one of his country songs, "Stranger in the House," on the album "Taking Liberties."

Anonymous said...

I may accidentally leave a copy at Echo Lake. If you happen to run accross it, would you be so kind as to return it to me? Stealing is a crime as I am sure you very well know, and crime doesn't pay.

dmo said...

Opus just means which one in a series of works it is. Like, Milo would be Morello's child opus#2. Have you heard that Elvis Costello song "Cheap Reward". It's one of his country numbers. It's a goody. I've been really into Built to Spill lately, and of course Sam Cooke. He does this rendition of "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess that makes me swoon every single time I hear it.