Sunday, October 09, 2005

$140.00 Bike Ride

Luke and I went out with our Eddy Merckx bicycles to the Great Western Trail. We unloaded the bikes from the truck and I stuck my wallet, keys, and spare key (it was in the wallet) in the glove compartment. Then I locked the door. Then I called a locksmith. The first locksmith that directory assistance hooked me up with was not even in the same state as my locked truck. The second one was not happy with my description of our location. He repeatedly asked for an address. I repeatedly told him that there was no address, we are in a parking lot for a trail. Eventually he agreed to send a locksmith. He said 20 minutes; we waited about an hour and called a different locksmith. This one kept saying, “What part of Chicago did you say you were in.” I thought I made it clear that we ware not in Chicago. He said that a locksmith would call me and that it was very important that I answer the phone. I am still waiting for that call. I tried AAA but the first locksmith finally called and interrupted that call. So he came, asked me if I was clear on the price. I said, yes $55.00. He said it was $55.00 for the service call and $89.00 to unlock the door. My silent question was, “What service does the $55.00 cover?” Who would ever pay a locksmith to come and not unlock the car? “Hey thanks for looking. So I was right, it is locked isn’t it?”

1 comment:

SA said...

the first little blue truck was about the most adorable thing ever.