Thursday, September 22, 2005

Hip Smelly Fonzarelli

I found a hip café with free WiFi and its called HiFi and that rhymes (or those rhyme). The café is in the hip area known as Bay View, a mere twenty-minute drive from my house. The smoking situation is the same as in the two cafés that I reviewed in my last article. Either I have lived in places with anti-smoking ordinances for too long to remember what cigarette smoke smells like, or there is a smell common to Milwaukee restaurants that I do not like. Part of the smell is surely burning tobacco but I cannot put my finger on the other part of the smell. If I may compare the smell to sound I would say it was a high-pitched smell, like a car alarm heard from a distance. It’s probably just cigarettes.
The café is for the rockabilly crowd. If Fonzy still lived in Milwaukee he might hang out here – but come to think of it, Fonzy hung out with mostly nerds. Fonzy had the unique talent of living in both the world of nerds and the world of hoods. The classic argument that The Fonz relished his position as the big fish in the small pond by befriending Messrs Cunningham, Malph and Webber rings true with this observer.

No comments: