Saturday, November 20, 2004

End of the Century

Am I a pussy for crying during the Ramones movie? I think what brought the tears was the thought of how lucky I was to have seen them back in the 80’s, you know, before they died. Ironically, I saw them at the El Dorado Saloon in Sacramento and it was too crowded to actually see them. At first I could see their reflections in mirrors on the walls but soon the place got too steamed up. Whatching the movie made me wonder what line up I had seen. It could have been as many as three of the original band members or as few as two. What year did Dee Dee start rapping? I am sure Joey (Jeffery Hyman) and Johnny (John Sadler, I mean Cummings) where there. After the movie I felt pumped up, like after seeing Rocky. Remember how you felt after seeing Rocky? You felt ready to fight should the need present itself. You felt a little taller. Not that "End of the Century" is up lifting – everyone dies. Well, three out of the 4 original members die, but I knew this going in. It is like watching a J.F. Kennedy documentary; you know he’s not going to make it. The movie makes fun of other 70’s music like Emerson Lake and Palmer and Gallery, who sang that song, “Oh its so nice to be with you, I love every thing you say and do . . .” I actually have that record but I do not have many of the cool records they mention like the Stooges. While in the theater I entertained thoughts of shooting, with a gun, maybe a .22, my cheesy 70’s records when I got home. I wanted to be cool. But now that I am home and some of the initial excitement has worn off I think I’ll spare them.
You must see this movie. You will not have the visceral emotional response that I had though because I am older than you. I was there man. I lived it.

No comments: