Tuesday, November 30, 2004

Yellow

I wear one of Lance Armstrong’s yellow bracelets. I like seeing the yellow bracelets around. I saw at least three at O’Hare Airport last night. John Kerry wears one. Prince William wears one. My best friend’s girlfriend’s sister and her cousin each wear one. Lance Armstrong, Tom Brokaw and Cheryl Crow all wear them. It is really a rubber band that says “LIVESTRONG,” on it. I am not normally one who appreciates affirmations. Nor have I ever worn an emblem to support any particular group of people until now. Cancer people, I support you. I have worn an AIDS ribbon on AIDS awareness day. When someone offers to pin an AIDS ribbon on your shirt, how do you say no? “Um, thanks but I don’t wear ribbons. Keep it.” But the truth is, I am just as concerned with AIDS as I am with cancer. But until AIDS can get a spokes model as powerful as Lance Armstrong - not to mention a fashion accessory better than a ribbon – I’ll stick with the trendy bracelet.

No comments: