Sunday, February 06, 2005

Super Bowl Sunday


birds
Originally uploaded by Jonathansadler.


While at the bookstore I overheard a woman say, “Oh my God, now I’m getting a headache.” Then she said, “I hope I’m not getting sick.” Then she sneezed. She was straightening out the books. I walked by her and at the moment that I was closest to her she kissed her hand and pressed it to the portrait of Lance Armstrong on the cover of “It’s Not About the Bike.” I’ve never seen a store clerk kiss the merchandise.

And I bought a book. I bet this book has never been kissed. It looks like it is 30 years old. As you can see, the color is an old fashioned green – yes - that shade of green has been out of style for tens of years. A sample of Mr. Smith’s writing will make clear why I bought the book. From the introduction: “All birds are happy and freely tell you so. They’re the best of friends to cultivate and, with birds, that’s fairly easy to do.”
He refers to the birds as his friends. His oldest friend is the Meadowlark.

This morning I figured out how the puppies kill birds. They sneak up on the bird feeder and then suddenly bark (they do not gradually bark). This startles the birds so that occasionally one will hit the window and fall, stunned, to the ground. That’s when the puppies go for the kill. Did I mention that when I try to remove a bird from a puppy mouth the puppy will quickly swallow it? And did I also mention that the puppy will then throw up the bird? And then the puppy eats the bird again.

Go Niners!

No comments: