Monday, April 11, 2005

Garden Talk

I can see how gardening can get addictive. Justin, Manuel and I prepared a vegetable garden. We planted some lettuces, spinach, arugala, potatoes, sugar peas and onions. As soon as the danger of frost has past we will plant more. The last frost here is of course debatable. One fellow told us it was safe and then it snowed two days later. Everyday I want to go to the nursery and I do go about every other day. Even at the hardware store I am confronted with plants, seeds and gardening tools that I have to restrain myself from buying. Today I bought some terracotta pots for basil. I bought bamboo to make teepees for the peas to climb. Robert assumed that we went to the nursery to use their restroom and when I finally took him to it he was so happy that we finally found it. We did it. Mission accomplished.
We (Joy) ordered 24 lavender plants. We ordered enough thyme to plant a decent sized lawn. Unfortunately there already is a lawn that I will have to remove to plant the thyme. We do get a thank you magnet and mug free with our order.
I was just looking at the names of apple trees available on line. Jonathan, Jonagold, Jonafree, Northern Spy. I would be tempted to plant apples for their names regardless of taste. The flowers may be my favorite thing about apple trees anyway.



<$BlogItemTitle$>

3 comments:

ame said...

Wow! 24 Lavender plants, tyme, apple trees. I have found that this year has been incredible for trees. I experimented with collecting seeds last year from local organic produce. I also spit pits into the ground with much hope. As I clean out my beds, I have found an avacado tree, an apricote tree, and a peach tree, they are all doing incredibly well. I have been working on my garden also. We have starters, tomatoes, watermelon, leeks, herbs, cucumber, squash, watermelon, basil, celeric. As you know, our spring here is a bit more predictable. The last frost date was at the end of March and generally I fear an all too soon heat, but this spring has been unusually cool. There was the warm burst at the end of January/February, but my starters on the windowsill seem to be suffering from in the cold nights. I hesitate to do some seeding and transplanting. I here it is to get cold again. I am also completely affected by my plants. Last weekend I happened upon the anual garden club sale, a great treasure hunt. Just sticks in a bucket that can be a rare or native jewel, pussy willow, japanese anenome, lavender, strawberries, oregano, pepermint scented geranium. I threw down a hefty thirty dollars for a wagon load. They have been potted and soaked along with the basil and borage seeds. Last night, I found my self getting the laundry and setting it down to sit and stare at my plants, this went on for over twenty minutes. Happy spring.

SA said...

Spring is an amazing time, for sure. Every year I find myself amazed at the flowering trees and become enchanted by something new. This year, I seem to be in love with apple blosoms as well.

Jonagold, by the way, are yummy. They do well on our side of the state.

dmo said...

Jon never asks for a second cup of cofee at home.