Saturday, April 30, 2005

Summer Tanager


SummerTanager
Originally uploaded by Jonathansadler.
Recently I realized that the Black-headed grosbeak has a robin-like song. Today I was walking along the bosque (which in Albuquerque is the forest along the Rio Grande) and I heard a robin-like song but it did not sound like a black-headed grosbeak. I started to think it might be a robin – a bird that also has a robin-like song. I am aware that Western tanagers also have a similar song but this was louder than what I am used to hearing from a Western tanager. When the sound was loudest I stopped and scanned the trees where I saw my first summer tanager sitting on a bare branch at about eye level. Then I saw a Western bluebird, Gambel’s quail, and Ash-throated flycatchers.

P.S. I stole the picture from, I think, The Birds of Oklahoma website.

2 comments:

rr said...

I think during my prayers tonight I'm going to tell God that if he had any plans to get me laid in the near future that he should forward them unto your person.

Cheers

jonathan said...

Thanks, It.