Saturday, April 30, 2005

Summer Tanager


SummerTanager
Originally uploaded by Jonathansadler.
Recently I realized that the Black-headed grosbeak has a robin-like song. Today I was walking along the bosque (which in Albuquerque is the forest along the Rio Grande) and I heard a robin-like song but it did not sound like a black-headed grosbeak. I started to think it might be a robin – a bird that also has a robin-like song. I am aware that Western tanagers also have a similar song but this was louder than what I am used to hearing from a Western tanager. When the sound was loudest I stopped and scanned the trees where I saw my first summer tanager sitting on a bare branch at about eye level. Then I saw a Western bluebird, Gambel’s quail, and Ash-throated flycatchers.

P.S. I stole the picture from, I think, The Birds of Oklahoma website.

1 comment:

jonathan said...

Thanks, It.