Monday, January 17, 2005

Martin Luther King Day

Today Robert mistook himself for Martin Luther King, Jr. Sort of. On the radio someone mentioned Martin Luther King Jr. and Robert said, “Did you hear that? Someone said Robert H.” I of course said, “Get over yourself.” But I really said, “No, she said Martin Luther King Jr.”
Later someone came by with books for Robert to sign and he did it! He signed five books and he did it beautifully. He hasn’t done that in a while. It takes a while and he asks questions like, "Large?" or "At an angle like this?" With each book he asks how he should sign it and I tell him to write his name anywhere and he says, "Just like the last one?" I am always surprised that he remembers the last one. I assume he thinks he is still signing the first one.
Which brings us to a few moments ago. Robert was standing with his arms open as if welcoming me into a hug, which I accepted. He hugged me and said, “I want to thank you for everything. I don’t think I’m going to make it.” I thought he might be crying so I looked into his eyes but they were dry. Then he started talking about the guy who came over earlier with the prints. He meant books but close enough. He talked a little about his inability to participate in intelligent conversations - I think. He seemed to forget that he just told me he wasn’t going to make it.

No comments: