Thursday, January 27, 2005

Robert

When I first decided to write about Robert in the blog I thought I should keep his identity secret. But when I tried to think of why, I could not think of a compelling reason. It’s no secret that he has dementia; nor should it be. And he should not be ignored because his brain does not work the way it used to. And I think it is interesting to see the way dementia manifests itself in Robert compared to others. I don’t have others to compare him with at the moment but most people know someone with Alzheimer’s or some other level of dementia (If you don’t now you probably will someday). So if part of you feels embarrassed for Robert when you see him wearing a basket on his head, you shouldn’t. He put the basket on and he was having a good time. I’m sure the fact that the man in the mirror also put a basket on his head made Robert feel even better about the idea.

1 comment:

SA said...

If you loose your mind, supposing you do so before I do, which seems unlikely, I promise to write about the things you do that you find fun.